Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOS general discussion
06-06-2014, 07:35 AM
SOS general discussion
This is going to be a very interesting project. I'm making good progress with cleaning and repairs to the mizzen mast. Cleans up good using Murphy's Oil. Now need to figure out how to post pictures.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2014, 03:24 AM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2014 03:26 AM by neilh.)
RE: SOS general discussion
    I think this is correct, but picture does not display in preview. But this shows a spar before and after cleaning with Murphy's Oil.

Cool! it works.
06-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Looks great. Glad to see you were able to get a picture added.

Cheers,
Chuck - Alpharetta, GA

Dry dock: Patrick Henry POF kit, HMS Elephant, 18th Century Longboat
Sailing the Ocean Blue: Flying Cloud, Bluenose
07-08-2014, 04:28 AM
okay, I'm trying to put a replacement deadeye into a wire strapping that has no give to it. Any ideas? I tried to untwist the wire but all I succeeded to do was split the wood of the crosstrees. Thanks.
Neil
07-09-2014, 02:12 AM
(07-08-2014 04:28 AM)neilh Wrote:  okay, I'm trying to put a replacement deadeye into a wire strapping that has no give to it. Any ideas? I tried to untwist the wire but all I succeeded to do was split the wood of the crosstrees. Thanks.
Neil

I guess we can determine what to do at the meeting.
I above all appreciate your efforts.
Ed and I will have a small update Saturday.
The cabins are in good shape, and square.
Im ready to discuss: Rigging-use what we have or new, planking the hull above the waterline and copper plating.
See you all Saturday

Jim G
07-09-2014, 06:04 AM
(07-08-2014 04:28 AM)neilh Wrote:  okay, I'm trying to put a replacement deadeye into a wire strapping that has no give to it. Any ideas? I tried to untwist the wire but all I succeeded to do was split the wood of the crosstrees. Thanks.
Neil

Any reason to not replace the wire as well? Depending on how it was attached maybe it could be deboned and then replaced.

Cheers,
Chuck - Alpharetta, GA

Dry dock: Patrick Henry POF kit, HMS Elephant, 18th Century Longboat
Sailing the Ocean Blue: Flying Cloud, Bluenose
07-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Thanks, Chuck. That is probably the easiest way if I can find the right gauge wire. Of course, that will mean replacing the ratlines and then everything will take on a life of its own.
07-17-2014, 10:26 AM
I've completed my 1st assignment and similar to Neil, I cleaned the mainmast and crossarms with Murphy's oil soap. Much improved and such that I would suggest that we not paint the masts or crossarms. I also suggested at last Sat. meeting that we shouldn't use any of the existing rigging (only the rigging thread). It is too rotted to re-use. Suggest that we take many photos of "temp" setup, for reference purposes. What's next for everyone?